Saturday, January 15, 2011

oh the sleep

Audrey has reached the age of ultra awareness...or wide awakeness...or something that means it's hard to get her to sleep! She continues to go to bed just fine, but is waking up too much at night. She wakes up early, well before midnight which is when she used to whimper only a week or so ago. She's then taken to waking up at 2, 4, 5 and then 6! whoa, too many times up. I can't tell if she's hungry because she will suck on her thumb and fist ferociously, but then only nurse for a short period of time. I think it's my proximity to her at night that maybe she senses me or hears us toss and turn. Laurel isn't the quietest sleeper either, so when she comes in at night I'm sure that disturbs Audrey as well. I tried to put her in her crib for the first time tonight and she wailed for almost a full hour with me picking her up and patting her. I am hoping she was just overtired because we're also having nap struggles. I checked my blog posts from when Laurel was this age and Laurel was having nap struggles but not as bad in retrospect. She at least was taking a long morning nap. Audrey can't seem to take any nap for longer than 45 minutes. 45 minutes is definitely not long enough. Today was a rotten nap day for her and though she was still smiley and pleasant, she had zero tolerance for trying a new sleep location! I've been reading a book about sleep and they say not to keep a baby up for longer than 2 hours and that most babies at Audrey's age will find 90 minutes to be the sweet spot. That's mostly true for Audrey as well, but I can't keep her asleep. That's the bigger problem. Sigh. I was so hoping to be better at the sleep obstacles with this baby. It's also difficult to get Audrey to settle down when she can hear Laurel laughing and running about. I think Audrey is afraid of missing out on the fun:).

No comments: